Saturday, November 27, 2010

Glass Front Cabinets

My husband has been wanting to put glass panels in the kitchen cabinets for a while.  I love it because this was totally his idea...

On a sidenote, I did not know Christopher was so handy when we first got married.  I think it all started about 5 or 6 years ago when we bought our first house together.  I hated the light fixture in the kitchen of that house.  He ended up removing and installing at least 3 different fixtures until I finally decided which one I liked best. And that's when I realized I had totally lucked out with my own personal handyman.  Love him.

Here is the before.

 He used a skill saw to cut the center piece of each cabinet out.  A little sanding around the edges and some touch up paint.

Michaels was charging $50 for each panel of custom cut glass!  So we bought 2 of these frames instead.  I think they are designed to hold record albums.  They were the perfect size and only cost $9.99 each.  Much better than $100.

These clips hold the glass in place.

And for $22 and an hours worth of work while Ashlyn was napping...


Go Christopher...you rock, sweetheart!

10 comments:

KCH said...

COMPLETE TRANSFORMATION!!! OH MY WORD!!

Anny said...

I love it! You really did luck out with that Mister :)

Anne said...

awww....thanks so much! I completely agree. What a catch! :)

Ann Rideout said...

As much as I love this idea and new look, I also like the dishes that are showing through!! Would you mind sharing where you got them?

Anne said...

Hi, Ann! The dishes are from Bed, Bath & Beyond - and were actually a wedding gift when we got married about 6 1/2 years ago. The brand is Gibson (Thailand Housewares) but I could not find them when I just went to look on the website. So I guess they don't make them any more - kind of disappointing because I would have liked to have found another bowl to replace one that broke a while back! :)

Kari said...

Hi Anne! I have always wanted to have at least 2 cabinets in my kitchen that have glass insets. I have colorful Fiestaware dishes that I want to showcase through these glass insets. I LOVE the fact that you and your husband did this together on the CHEAP! Thanks so much for this wonderful DIY project - I'm your newest follower!

Anne said...

Thanks, Kari!!! I would love to see yalls finished project! They made such a big difference for super cheap!!! Good luck!!

Sandie05 said...

Hi, where did you purchase the frames? Hubby and I are working on remodeling but on a budget! Thanks

Sandie05 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne @ Hello Newmans said...

Hi, Sandie. We purchased the frames at Michaels with 40% off coupons. Hope that helps! and good luck with your remodel.

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs