We started working on the in-laws lake house this weekend. And finished round one of the cabinets along with a few other things.
Here is what we started with.
We used the Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformation kit (small size) in Quilters White (around $80 at Home Depot). Over the past several years, we have done our fair share of painting cabinets. It normally goes like this: light sanding, 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of paint, and a protective finish.
The kit saved us a few steps.
Step One: Remove all the doors and scrub them using the deglosser (I think I forgot I am 8 months pregnant when we started this project - the belly tends to make it a bit more difficult to bend over)
After all the doors and trim pieces were scrubbed, we put on the first coat of the "bond" color. It says to let dry 3 hours in between coats. Honestly, we waited about an hour and then put the second coat on. After the second coat dried, we applied the protective finish (we skipped the optional "decorative glaze" step).
The finish was the only part of the kit I was disappointed with. It turned yellow in some places. Maybe we just noticed it more because the cabinet color we chose was so light. But it says it is supposed to dry clear. Not too big of a deal though because I just went back over the yellow spots with the original paint color and it looks just fine.
All in all, we were pleased with the outcome. Christopher removed the old wine rack (we are planning to install shelves), and we added some chalkboard paint.
Next up - a "new" countertop using the Rust-Oleum Countertop transformation kit. Also in the works - new hardware for the cabinets, a new floor, and fun tile backsplash...